Mercator IT Solutions is looking for a Scala Developer to be part of its growing consultancy arm.
Mercator has enjoyed continued growth over the past year and is now looking to increase its capability in the digital transformation space in both the Private and Public sectors.
Mercator IT Solutions is part of the Mercator Group with offices in the UK, France, Singapore and North America.
Mercator prides itself on empowering its people to provide real value to clients by delivering sustainable software solutions with long lasting benefits. We place personal growth and development at the heart of our business and we give our people the autonomy to own and shape their role.
Mercator is seeking a dynamic, forward-thinking Scala Developer with excellent communication skills who can help Mercator in its continued transformation. You will be open-minded, happy to work on your own or as part of a team and want to learn new technologies and promote best practice.
Mercator Scala Developers work collaboratively in multi-disciplinary agile scrum teams to develop, modify and maintain user interfaces for new digital services. Using agile methods, you will work closely with other members of the scrum team throughout the development cycle in order to design, build, test, maintain and support the new digital services.
As a Scala developer you will:
- build, deploy and operate outstanding digital services within an agile environment that meet well-defined user needs
- deliver application designs that meet web standards, ensuring that key elements are built in from the outset
- collaborate with Design Specialists to translate designs into high quality websites, apps, HTML emails, and interactive experiences
- contribute to the development and continual enhancement of products
- partner with Product Managers, Design Specialists, Business Analysts and Software Developers to facilitate a consistent user experience
- participate in the rapid development of user-driven digital prototypes
- work in cross-functional teams to write and test production quality, sustainable code for world-class user interfaces for new and existing systems
- ensure that new and updated digital services are thoroughly tested for accessibility and can be maintained and improved over the long-term
- provide mentorship and/or line management for more junior Front-end Developers where necessary
- contribute to a culture of continual improvement in which key systems “owned” by your digital service team are regularly analysed, maintained and improved
- contribute to a robust automated test suite to work in a continuous integration environment
- become involved in the wider web development community (outside of Mercator), building relationships with other Front-end Developers and identifying best practices that we can adopt
- share knowledge of tools and techniques with technical and non-technical team members in Mercator
Essential Skills and Experience:
- Scala/Play development skills
- Experience of agile development techniques, test driven development (TDD) and paired programming, etc.
- Experience building scalable, distributed web applications in Scala (Java with Scala experience gained in personal projects may be considered)
- Experience of working with Microservices
- Experience with REST and asynchronous event driven programming
- Demonstrable experience in using automated testing solutions
- Problem solving skills: you will be able to logically break down a problem into smaller manageable parts to reach a solution
- Proven ability to communicate technical concepts to a non-technical audience
- Any knowledge of MongoDB or working with large datasets would be useful but is not essential
- Knowledge of the use of version control systems, such as git
- Experience implementing RESTful APIs for integration with internal and external systems
What we offer in return:
- A competitive salary and pension scheme
- The flexibility to work from home and occasional travel to client sites
- A training package that suits your personal development
- Access to schemes such as the Cycle to work scheme, weekly Yoga/Mindfulness classes etc
- 25 days holiday plus Bank Holidays
*Applicants must have the right to work in the UK and the ability to pass BPSS vetting