Mercator IT Solutions is looking for a Front-end Developer to be part of its growing consultancy arm.
Mercator has enjoyed continued growth over the past year and is now looking to increase its capability in the digital transformation space in both the Private and Public sectors.
Mercator IT Solutions is part of the Mercator Group with offices in the UK, France, Singapore and North America.
Mercator prides itself on empowering its people to provide real value to clients by delivering sustainable software solutions with long lasting benefits. We place personal growth and development at the heart of our business and we give our people the autonomy to own and shape their role.
Mercator is seeking a dynamic, forward-thinking Frontend Developer with excellent communication skills who can help Mercator in its continued transformation. You will be open-minded, happy to work on your own or as part of a team and want to learn new technologies and promote best practice.
As a Front-end Developer you will work collaboratively in multi-disciplinary agile scrum teams to develop, modify and maintain user interfaces for new digital services. Using agile methods, you will work closely with other members of the scrum team throughout the development cycle in order to design, build, test, maintain and support the new digital services.
As a Front-end developer you will:
- Build, deploy and operate outstanding digital services within an agile environment that meet well-defined user needs
- Deliver application designs that meet web standards, ensuring that key elements are built in from the outset
- Collaborate with Design Specialists to translate designs into high quality websites, apps, HTML emails, and interactive experiences
- Contribute to the development and continual enhancement of products
- Partner with Product Managers, Design Specialists, Business Analysts and Software Developers to facilitate a consistent user experience
- Participate in the rapid development of user-driven digital prototypes
- Work in cross ¬functional teams to write and test production quality, sustainable code for world -class user interfaces for new and existing systems
- Ensure that new and updated digital services are thoroughly tested for accessibility and can be maintained and improved over the long ¬term.
- Provide mentorship and/or line management for more junior Front-end Developers where necessary
- Contribute to a culture of continual improvement in which key systems “owned” by your digital service team are regularly analysed, maintained and improved
- Contribute to a robust automated test suite to work in a continuous integration environment
- Become involved in the wider web development community (outside of Mercator), building relationships with other Front-end Developers and identifying best practices we can adopt
- Sharing knowledge of tools and techniques with technical and non-technical team members within Mercator
Essential Skills and Experience:
- Use and implementation of modern front-end web technologies such as HTML5, CSS3, AJAX, REST, JSON
- Good understanding of web/agile technologies & protocols
- Demonstrable experience in automated testing solutions
- Proven problem solving skills: able to logically break down a problem into smaller manageable parts to solve
- Proven ability to communicate technical concepts to a non-technical audience
- Proven ability to quickly research and learn new programming tools and techniques
- Demonstrable knowledge of relational and non-relational database systems
- Experience of programming languages such as Python, Ruby, C#
- Experience developing and using web-based APIs (especially HTTP REST-based APIs)
- Experience with web frameworks such as Django, Ruby on Rails, Play Framework, Google Guice, Spring, MVC
- Experience with open source solutions and community, including Linux system administration and configuration management skills including Linux experience
- Experience with automated testing and continuous integration tools such as Jenkins, junit
- Experience using and deploying on cloud based platforms
- Experience working on technical projects within an agile team
- Configuration management skills
- Confluence and JIRA
- Experience presenting work at user groups and conferences
- Experience of building and scaling high-traffic websites
- Understanding of the use of responsive web design
- Experience of handling large data sets and scaling their handling and storage
- Understanding of web security best practices and security application design such as OWASP top 10
- Knowledge of the use of version control systems such as git or subversion
What we offer in return:
- A competitive salary and pension scheme
- The flexibility to work from home and occasional travel to client sites
- A training package that suits your personal development
- Access to schemes such as the Cycle to work scheme, weekly Yoga/Mindfulness classes etc
- 25 days holiday plus Bank Holidays
*Applicants must have the right to work in the UK and the ability to pass BPSS vetting